فارسي -  پښتو

DONATE

Nangerhar

Four media workers killed in the militants’ raid on the Afghan state Radio TV station

Photo: 1TV

May 17, 2017

Jalal Abad – Afghanistan Journalists Center (AFJC) condemns the deadly terrorist attack on the provincial branch of the Afghan state TV station in Jalal Abad, capital of eastern Nangarhar province.

Gunmen stormed the local headquarters of National Radio Television Afghanistan (RTA) about 10:30 am local time when most of the employees were at work.

Nangarhar Police Chief Gen. Abdul Rahman Rahimi said the attack began with an explosion, followed by a gun battle with Afghan security forces, which had come to an end by the afternoon.

“Four employees of RTA including two technicians, a driver and a guard and two soldiers were martyred in the attack.” Rahim added

According to the police chief, the first attacker detonated his explosives at the entrance door of the RTA compound and then three others entered the compound which is close to the provincial governor’s office.

The Islamic State group (ISIS/Daesh) claimed responsibility for the suicide raid via its pseudo-news agency, Amaq. Local official say the three attackers were killed and one was arrested during the raid.

Inhamullah Miakhial, a spokesman for the provincial hospital said it has received at least 18 wounded people.

Both the Taliban and ISIS' affiliate in Afghanistan are active in Nangarhar, a mountainous province that borders Pakistan.

Several media outlets have been attacked by militants especially by ISIS in the past two years in Nangarhar, The group was actively threatening media outlets and journalists with death on the militant`s local radio station before being destroyed in the Afghan air strike early this month. The militants bombed a building housing two local radio stations and attacked the local offices of the leading news agency Pajhwok Afghan and Voice of America in the provincial capital, Jalal Abad.

AFJC's record shows that the killing the RTA staff brought to more than 72 the number of journalists and media workers killed in Afghanistan since falling of the Taliban regime in 2001, 2016, with 13 dead makes the deadliest year for media community in Afghanistan.

AFJC reiterates its concern about the safety of journalists and media outlets in Afghanistan and calls on Afghan government, particularly security forces to strengthen their efforts to secure journalists’ safety and media institutions to put in place all possible means to limit the risks.

AFJC strongly condemns attack on local radio station in Eastern Nangarhar province

June 8, 2016

Jalal Abad: The Afghanistan Journalists Center strongly condemns grenade attack on a local private radio station in the capital of Eastern Nangarhar province and urges the local authorities to investigate.

Unknown gunmen on Wednesday launched bomb attack against Enikas radio station in Jalalabad in Nangarhar, officials confirmed.

Humayoun Latifi, head of Enikas Radio in Jalalabad, confirmed the incident and said it happened around noon but no one had been wounded in the attack.

No group has so far claimed responsibility for the attack. But local journalists previously received warning from the IS (Daesh) and the Taliban militants.

Afghanistan Journalists Center strongly condemns the attacks and urges the government to do more to protect journalists.

We expect the relevant authorities to immediately investigate and prosecute without any delay the perpetrators of this unacceptable attack.

This comes four months after RTA journalist Zubair Khaksar was murdered by unidentified gunmen in Surkh rood district of the province.

On October 2015, the offices of Killid and Safa Radios in Jalal Abad were targeted in bomb blast. The Daesh group had claimed responsibility of the attacks.

On June 10, a magnetic bomb attached to the Pajhwok Afghan News office’s entrance gate went off in Jalalabad city, destroying office equipment and injured four guests at the nearby Voice of America office but the perpetrators of these violent actions have not yet been identified and prosecuted.

Airstrikes destroy IS radio station in Afghanistan

Feb 2, 2015

Jalal Abad — U.S. airstrikes have destroyed an Islamic State-operated radio station in a remote part of eastern Afghanistan, officials said Tuesday.

"Voice of the Caliphate" radio was destroyed by two U.S. airstrikes, according to a U.S. military official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to brief media on the subject.

According to the AP, Army Col. Mike Lawhorn, spokesman for the U.S.-NATO mission in Afghanistan, said U.S. forces conducted two "counter-terrorism airstrikes" late Monday in Achin district, in the eastern Nangarhar province, without elaborating.

An IS affiliate has emerged in Afghanistan over the past year, with a military presence in districts near the border with Pakistan. The radio station was broadcasting illegally across Nangarhar, calling on fighters to join the group and threatening journalists in the provincial capital, Jalalabad.

Afghan officials had said they believed the broadcasts were coming from mobile facilities that could be moved easily back and forth across the mountainous border.

The spokesman for the Nangarhar governor, Attaullah Khogyani, said the strikes had also killed 21 IS supporters, including five who were working for the radio station.

The station was set up in late 2015, following months of fierce fighting between IS group militants and the Taliban, who also maintain a significant presence in the region. Although IS and the Taliban both want to impose a harsh version of Islamic rule, they are bitterly divided over leadership and strategy, with the Taliban narrowly focused on Afghanistan and IS bent on establishing a worldwide caliphate.

Radio is a powerful medium in Afghanistan, where most people do not have televisions and only 10 percent of the population has access to the Internet. Nearly everyone has access to radio, with around 175 stations operating across the country.

Page 1 of 7

Start
Prev
1