فارسي -  پښتو

DONATE

Unknown gunmen shot dead local journalist in Eastern Nangarhar province

Jan 30, 2016

Kabul: An Afghan journalist was shot dead in Afghanistan's eastern province of Nangarhar last night; an official said on Saturday.

"Mohammad Zubair Khaksar was martyred after unknown gunmen fired four rounds of pistols on his vehicle on road in Surkh Rood district Friday night," it said in a statement.

Attaullah Khogyani, the provincial governor spokesman, said  Khaksar came under attack in Moi Mubarak area  of Surkh Rood at 9pm, when he was returning from a friend’s residence.

Besides being a journalist at the state-owned Afghanistan National Radio and Televisio(RTA), he was also serving as the Cultural Adviser for Saleem Khan Kundozi, the governor Nangarhar province since a week ago.

No group has so far claimed responsibility for the attack. But local journalists previously received warning from the IS (Daesh) militants.

“On behalf of AFJC, I strongly condemn the attack that killed prominent journalist Zubair Khaksar and call for the government to launch an urgent and proper investigation” Ahmad Quraishi, executive director of Afghanistan Journalists Center said.

Earlier in January, seven media workers of Tolo TV channel were killed and about 30 others wounded after a Taliban suicide car bombing struck a minibus in Afghan capital Kabul.