September 5, 2018
Kabul: Two journalists among at least 20 victims of a deadly double suicide bombing in Kabul on Wednesday September 5, at least four other journalists wounded in the attack.
Tolo News, Afghanistan’s largest private broadcaster said its reporter Samim Faramarz and cameraman Ramez Ahmadi lost their lives in an explosion in Kabul’s PD6 while covering an earlier bombing.
Three journalists from the Khurshid TV and one journalist from 1TV were wounded in the attack.
The first explosion happened at around 6pm Kabul time, targeting a wrestling gym in Qala-e-Nazer area in Kabul’s PD6, while the second explosion was a car bombing that according to officials left at least 20 people dead and more than 70 others wounded, Tolonews said
According to the ToloNews, Farmarz had been reporting live from the scene of the first explosion on the channel 6pm bulletin - just minutes before the explosion happened.
Nasrat Rahimi, a spokesman for the Interior Ministry, said 20 people lost their lives in the attack and more than 70 others were wounded. The attack has spurred an outpouring of grief among journalists, many of whom took to social media to post tributes to their colleague.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the bombings but sympathizers of the Islamic State (Daesh) claimed to have been behind April attack in Kabul which claimed lives of nine journalists.
Ahmad Quraishi, executive director of Afghanistan Journalists Center (AFJC) condemned the attack, saying in “attack on media workers is an attack on freedom of speech and a crime against humanity.”
"This is a devastating loss, highlighting the heavy price the media is paying covering the war in Afghanistan.” Mr. Quraishi said.
Afghanistan is already proving to be one of the dangerous countries for journalists in the world. 15 journalists and media workers have been killed in Afghanistan in 2018.